Friday, November 20, 2009

Whoops!! We may have to do it again! Another thing to be grateful for

I was just reading the news and discovered that the Texas Legislature may have banned ALL marriage in my state. I am so grateful to live in the weirdest state in the union with the weirdest legislators. Who woulda thunk that after nearly 50 years of marriage off and onish that the state where I was born, lived my entire life, graduated hight school and colleges here, paid taxes, married, bore children to live here, attended church in my red letter A state and now it is all for naught apparently. I had no idea my man and I were so avant garde in our life.

I read it and laughed..sort of. I hope this doesn't call for having to get married all over again...or worse have kids again. Oh Lordy! We have been living in "sin" for four years.

Read all about it here.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/Amendment-Goof-May-Have-Banned-All-Marriage-in-Texas-70544457.html

Art. 1 Sec. 32. MARRIAGE. (a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman. (b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.

The amendment, added Nov. 8, 2005, is not a statement mired in legalese. In fact, it's pretty clear English. One thing that is identical to marriage is marriage ... and this clause bans that. The wording has now left many people wondering how such a blunder might have occurred, Radnofsky included.

"You do not have to have a fancy law degree to read this and understand what it plainly says," Radnofsky told the Star-Telegram. "I believe the clear language of B bans all marriages, and this is indeed a huge mistake."

Thank you, Texas the home of Former President George W. Bush and a bunch of his goofs, and Governor Perry who let the Gorvernor's residence burn down...or at least didn't persue with a whole lot of diligence capturing the arsonist, in my opinion. My state is something that brings you a laugh a day and a state that will cause you to be grateful you don't live here. Hmmm..I'm wondering about my medicare status now. Am I married to the man I've lived with nearly half a century? Oh My...I'll bet one of my grandmothers has rolled over in her grave and the other one is laughing herself silly.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an interesting piece of news, even for Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFLMBO!!! You know... some days I am just sO glad I DON'T live in Texas! And usually I have you to thank for bringing it to my attention! LOL! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melli,
    I'll keep you up to date about the new wedding gown and all. Maybe my kids can plan it all. Oh Mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep me informed as I was married in Texas. Guess I nned to get around to planning it all over again. At least I have no kids.

    Maybe if I keep quiet no one will know I am living in sin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that just the most hilarious bit of foolishness.

    I, for one, am going to live on the wild side in sin...maybe it will jazz up some things around here. HAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Texas politics! I swear they should make a television show all about them!

    ReplyDelete