Thursday, March 8, 2012

What the heck happened to Blogger?  I've been playing around with facebook and holy cow when I came today there was lots of stuff everything had changed!   Just noticed the "Try the updated blogger interface" link at the top of this page. Wonder what that ... OOPS..!

Sorry I haven't been around much lately.  I had a cold for a while and finally I'd had enough and went for a home remedy.



This worked pretty well and after a couple of nights of these I just didn't care if I had a cold or not, but wound up having to going in to visit my doc anyway.  She prescribed an antibiotic for the lingering yuckiness.  Finally getting better.

I've been going through my mother in law's jewelry and lots of other stuff.  She died last February and my father in law followed on March 30th of the same year.  Anyway, as I've been going through their stuff, while my husband repaired some lawmowers and other garden equipment for the estate sale, it occured to me that I'm pushing 70 and there is no reason for me to keep the "important stuff".  The kids have all gotten the things they wanted and they are happy.  In fact I could hear the wheels turning as our oldest daughter was mentally trying to figure where on earth she would put a quilt in her contemporary home.  I'm going to send them back over to be sold this weekend.  That pushing 70 is just me trying to get ready for it in a few years.


Oh yes, I had spent an entire day going through my mil's jewelry and putting earrings together and in general sorting it all out.  Miz Dorothy loved her some cute earrings and matching necklaces.  I'm not that into jewelry so much, but did keep a few pieces.  Anyway, I was exhausted that night and went to bed early.  The next morning I went to the garage for something and noticed all the windows on the car were rolled down.  That set me back on my heels and I called hubby to see if he had rolled them down.  He hadn't and thought I had.  Well, this puzzled us to no end.  I finally decided my mil was upset I'd gone through her things and had "spoken" from beyond.  It certainly creeped us out.  The other day hubby had to get the owner's manual to see how to turn off the automatic windshield wiper function on the car and found the answer to our puzzle.  If you hold a button on the key fob down for a certain time and hold something else down too it will roll all the windows down and unlock all the doors.  That satisfied him, but I still don't know.

February isn't a great month, in my humble opinion, but it is fun sometimes.  The Sunday of the Superbowl we were at the grocery store to pick up some snacks and found these sweet cupcakes!  They were delicious and were all yummy strawberryness.  Mona over at Wsprsweetly collects lovely items from garage sales and has lace, silver, quilts and all manner of very cool cottage items.  She has influenced me into getting out doilies and starching and ironing them, but the doily under the cupcakes is just paper.  However, even that made these little things very special.


Also, while convalesing I made a cherry pie.  I'm not a pie maker and certainly am not a pie crust maker, but I'd bought this too cute little pie bird and just had to try it.  Pie birds allow you to make a meat or fruit pie without the filling bubbling up and making the top crust all not pretty.  The pie bird I used is a red one. The blackish yuck around the edge of the pie pan is where I forgot to clean the edge before baking.  I was so excited by the finished project I forgot again to clean the edge off before taking the picture.  It doesn't take too much to dazzle and amuse me.


The crust wasn't burnt and all in all it was one of the best pies and best pie crusts I've ever eaten.  There hasn't been much baking/pie making lately because there are calories in those cute little things.  I do have some Granny Smith apples calling from the kitchen though.

Our youngest is coming from Austin tonight to stay while she is working up here for a few days.  That will be a very welcome visit.  Her dad, my husband, had a skin cancer removed from his chest day before yesterday, and she is worried about him.  Gotta tell you we will all be wearing hats and sun block more...all the time...maybe at night, too.

6 comments:

  1. G'morning.....thanks so much for coming by to visit.
    Pushing 70, hu? :)) I passed that mark 4 years ago and now 75 is staring me in the face. GOOD GRIEF....WHERE DID ALL THE FLOWERS GO? and SO FAST??:)
    Have fun with your daughter....:))

    A happy follower, bj
    OOPS, do you know you have word verification on your comments? Just wondering.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bj,
    Thanks for coming by and visiting.

    I had no idea there is word verification on this blog. Hmm.
    It drives me crazy trying to figure out if that letter is a z or c or what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pies are wonderful, and I wish I knew how to bake them the way I like to eat them!

    If you do an apple pie, promise me you'll try a piece with a thin slice of cheddar cheese melted on top. It's so good, and seems to be sort of a "local' thing where I grew up. Some people up there even bake shredded cheddar into their apple pie crusts. YUM!

    And I believe in ghosts, so the whole button theory

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... is not explaining it away for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pie bird--never heard of it. But cupcakes I am a glutton for.

    Hope your cold is evaporating, as it is 78 here today. I had good report from heart doctor--well as good as I could expect. The dangerous medicine I am on for A-Fib is still working nearly 18 months since I started. It usually fades after 12 months. Then we have to begin considering surgical procedures, pacemakers and defibrillators.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes me proud to know you Lora. I believe in the spirits, too. I'll have to write about my experiences at Rose Hall in Jamaica sometime. *wink*

    I promise to put some cheddar on a slice of pie and melt it...and I'll put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a slice, too.


    NW1,
    My cold has gone with the wind that blew in some pollen and so it goes.

    So glad about the a fib meds for you. I guess I was uber lucky I haven't had any trouble with mine since 2010 when I nearly died. The cardiologist told me to take a whole aspirin, the 5 grains size, and I do...along with some carveilol, diltiazem, a diruetic and some potassium to go with that.
    Here is hoping we both live a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete